Our bodies absorb so many chemicals throughout the days, weeks and months of our lives that sometimes we just need to soak away some of the 'ick'. A good soak in a simple bath mix of epsom salts and baking soda will help your body remove the toxins it has absorbed. Our skin is the largest organ in our body and often the most neglected. By taking care of the outside, we help take care of the inside too.
An added benefit of the epsom salts or magnesium flakes is the extra 'boost' of magnesium your skin absorbs during the soak. You don't even need to commit an hour to the soak, just about 20 minutes or so. Some tips on your bath:
- Don't make the water too hot! Doing so can cause lightheadedness and you lose balance.
- Follow your bath with a cool shower to help your body normalize afterwards.
- Don't use harsh chemicals or soaps after your bath. You've just detoxed your skin and you will just reabsorb them. Use a natural soap like Dr. Bronner's.
- Don't eat immediately before or after the bath
- Do drink lots of water
- Rest and relax afterwards
Quick and Easy Detox Bath
2 cups epsom salts or magnesium flakes (add more if you have a large tub)
1 cup baking soda
For a refreshing Summertime Soak add to tepid water:
1 cup thin sliced cucumbers
a handful of torn peppermint leaves
3 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil
Add the ingredients to a bath and soak for at least 15-20 minutes. Follow up with a natural moisturizer, coconut oil or shea butter.
Important!!! If you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, diabetes or history of heart trouble do NOT take salt baths! Check with your physician before using this detox soak.
Looking for more detox bath recipes? Check out Wellness Mama or the doTERRA blog for great ideas!